Good oral hygiene results in a healthy mouth that looks and smells good. Clean, healthy mouths display three main traits:
- No bad breath
- No pain or bleeding
- No stains/debris.
If you experience any pain or bleeding while brushing or flossing or persistent bad breath, see your dentist because these signs may indicate a larger problem.
Maintaining good oral hygiene is very important because it prevents painful and costly problems from forming. Maintaining good oral health is as easy as:
- Brushing two or more times a day and flossing daily
- Eating a well balanced diet and limiting sugary snacks
- Seeing a dentist and hygienist at least twice a year
- Using toothpaste and dental products that contain fluoride
- Rinsing with a fluoride mouthrinse (if recommended by your dentist)
- Making sure children under 12 drink fluoridated water or have fluoride supplemented diets.